Sunday, February 19, 2012

Night

Night by Elie Wiesel

Wiesel's story of his struggle through concentration camps as a young Jewish boy is truly heartbreaking.  Being such an honest account of the Holocaust, it is sometimes a difficult story to read.  Even after reading it for a second time, I am surprised by the lack of emotion some of the characters experience.  As Wiesel explains, it was as if they had cried all of their tears early in the war and had none to shed as their family and friends died in front of them.

The scene that sticks out in my mind the most would be the young boy the guards hanged in front of all of the prisoners.  The cruelty of the act, to me, encompasses the who genocide.  It was unjustified, violent, and inhumane.  It was one of the moments that Wiesel truly lost his faith.

I recommend this book for 8th graders and up.  This memoir is an honest look into the lives of a Jewish family during WWII.  Although it has pretty graphic stories, it is an important story and a significant piece of history.

2 comments:

  1. I would also recommend this book for 8th and 9th grade or up. Yes, it depicts some gruesome scenes, but it's the exact truth and it's very telling of the devastation these innocent people had to go through. It's a huge part of history and I think that it is something everyone should be aware of as early as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was too surprised by the lack of emotions. As I reflected more on it I came to the conclusion that these people were experience such horrible things that they basically had no idea how to react, they were just trying to survive. I also think it is a significant piece which will be taught for generations to come, solely for its historical benefits.

    ReplyDelete