Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Legend

Legend 
By Marie Lu

The sci-fi nerd in me rejoiced as I read this novel.  I have a weakness for dystopian novels and Legend kept me on my toes.  At the age of ten, all children are required to take a test that measures their mental and physical strengths.  This test assigns them a number, as well as their fate.  If your number is high, you can go to college or join the military.  If it is low, you're lucky to go to high school.  Otherwise, you are shipped away from your home forever.

Day and June are two teenagers from very different worlds. June is a prodigy who earned a perfect score on her trial.  Day is the most wanted criminal of his time.  As they cross paths, lies and deceit sprinkle their relationship, but will true feelings get in the way of their missions?

I recommend this novel for middle school readers and older.  It will satisfy actions junkies as well as those interested in relationship dynamics.  If you liked The Hunger Games, The Knife of Never Letting Go, or The House of the Scorpion, you will enjoy Legend.  I look forward to the sequel: Prodigy.


No comments:

Post a Comment